Students who attend a City of Philadelphia public high school or charter high school are considered for a limited number of scholarships for the Penn Summer Prep Program or Summer Academies.
See if your school qualifies you for scholarship consideration:
- School District of Philadelphia high schools (click on "high schools")
- School District of Philadelphia charter schools
- Current 9th, 10th, or 11th grade student
- Philadelphia resident
- Attend a School District of Philadelphia public or charter high school
- Minimum 3.3 high school GPA
- Well-written essays
- Strong letter of recommendation
- Demonstrated financial need
Submit an online application for Penn Summer Prep or the Summer Academy of your choice. Follow the application instructions and requirements outlined on our Application Information page. Applications for summer 2023 are now open!
- Applicants indicating that they are from the School District of Philadelphia will automatically have the application fee waived.
- As you complete the online application, when asked if you attend a School District of Philadelphia school, select ‘Yes’ to be considered for the scholarship. A supplemental form will be provided through the application system requesting financial details. Complete and return the form prior to the stated application deadline.
- Applications are reviewed in mid-May; rolling admission does not apply to scholarship applicants.
- Selected finalists may be invited to campus for an interview with program faculty and staff to review your qualifications and discuss your interest in the program. Note: interviews are not conducted for all programs.
- If admitted, students will be able to attend the academic portion of the Summer Academies or the Penn Summer Prep program for free but will be unable to live in the residence hall during the program. Lunch will be provided daily.